Always follow your instructor's guidelines if specified. CSE does not have a standard format; science writers follow the journal's policies they are submitting to. However, here are a few guidelines to follow for the citation page:
- All lines are flush with the left margin
- No hanging indents
- Author's last name and then initials; no commas or periods between initials
- Wright BG.
- List ten authors using a comma between authors, then write et at. for all subsequent authors
- Adams AB, Brown BC, Cookes CD, Dudley DE, Eggert EF, Flowers FG, Gaffe GH, Hapert HI, Iklant IJ, Jippy JK, et al.
- Only capitalize the first word of a title - unless a proper noun
- "The bluest eye"
- "My name is David"
- Titles of books and articles are "placed in quotations marks" or "underlined"
- Edition information goes after the title
- first becomes 1st; second becomes 2nd; third becomes 3rd; fourth becomes 4th
- Journal titles are abbreviated. Follow the set abbreviation in the CASSI
- Do not hyperlink the URL
There is no standard format for formatting a research paper in CSE. Science writers follow the journal submitting standards for formatting. Please follow your instructor's requirements.
Reference List Layout
- All lines flushed left (no hanging indents)
- Single spaced
- If you use citation-sequence, the reference list is numerical
- If you use citation-name, the reference list is alphabetical
- Author initials are used rather than first names (Wright N.)
- Author's last name, the first and middle initials, then a period (no commas) - Taylor TS.
- When more than one author use commas - not and or & (Cohen DS, Rider AG, Feldman G.)
- When more than ten authors list first ten then follow with et al. (10 authors Williams D, et al.)
- Only the first word in a title is capitalized
- Titles of books and articles are placed inside quotation marks or underlined
- Abbreviate journal titles; no periods are used in the abbreviation (e.g., Mol Cell Biol)
- Check the CASSI for the abbreviations (https://cassi.cas.org/search.jsp)
- Do not hyperlink URLs
- Last Updated: Jan 24, 2023 3:12 PM
- URL: https://guides.iona.edu/citationguide
- Print Page