Introduction to RefWorks Guide
This guide introduces RefWorks, the citation manager preferred by Iona University Libraries. The following pages provide instructions on opening a RefWorks account, using browser extensions to save citation information for online sources, importing records from our more popular databases, and creating a bibliography in RefWorks. Additionally, the guide provides information about advanced features in RefWorks that ease citation and collaboration.
Like any automated citation manager, RefWorks is not foolproof. Due to issues with an article’s metadata or bugs in the system itself, citations created by RefWorks are not guaranteed to be accurate all the time. Known bugs in RefWorks will be outlined on the Known RefWorks Glitches page in this guide. Always review RefWorks generated citations with the MLA, APA, Chicago, and other citation styles on our Citing Sources Research Guide.
What is RefWorks
RefWorks is a research tool that helps you collect, manage, and organize sources you find for your research. Using metadata from online resources, RefWorks creates bibliographies or works cited pages automatically, easing the citation process. Additionally, RefWorks has annotation and sharing functionalities allow for digital notetaking and ease collaboration.
RefWorks is compatible with many Iona Libraries databases; particularly our more popular databases like EBSCO, ProQuest, and the WorldCat library catalog. This allows you to quickly export article reference information to your RefWorks library. Once the citation information is in your RefWorks library, you can quickly create a bibliography or Works Cited page in many citation styles, including AMA, APA, Chicago, and MLA. RefWorks is also free for Iona students and faculty.
The video below provides a more thorough introduction to RefWorks.
Creating a RefWorks Account
- Go to RefWorks and click on Create Account (located at the bottom of the box)
- Use your Iona email address to sign up for a RefWorks account
- Your Iona email address becomes your login name. *Note: Don't select your Institution
- A verification email will be sent. *Note: the verification email arrives in the Junk folder in Outlook
- Click on the link in the verification email and add your name, role, and department affiliation
- You will be asked if you’d like to install the Save to RefWorks web browser button. See Save to RefWorks button page
RefWorks is not connected with your MyIona Single Sign-On account and will not appear in your OneLogin applications.
The video below demonstrates the process of setting up a RefWorks account. Information after the 2:12 mark is not relevant to Iona University's use of RefWorks.
- Last Updated: Oct 18, 2022 2:46 PM
- URL: https://guides.iona.edu/refworks
- Print Page