Research Essentials: Research Step-by-Step
This guide is designed to assist you in locating relevant and authoritative resources to use for your research assignments. Throughout this guide, you will learn how the library's resources and online research databases, is the ideal place to conduct your academic research.
The Seven Steps of the Research Process
1. Identify Your Topic.
- State your topic as a question and identify the main concepts or keywords.
2. Find Background Information.
- Look up the keywords in scholarly encyclopedias and dictionaries.
- Gale eBooks
- Oxford English Dictionary
3. Find Books and Articles in WorldCat.
4. Find More Articles in Research Databases.
5. Evaluate What You Find.
6. Cite Your Sources.
7. Get Help.
Adapted from: Olin Library, Cornell University Library