Research Essentials: Research Services & Help
Welcome to Research Essentials
Welcome to Research Essentials, your guide to better understanding the college research process, including how to find books and articles, evaluate information sources, avoid plagiarism, and properly cite sources when you write or speak.
During the research process, you may need assistance in locating resources, organizing the research you have already or identifying additional methods to gather resources for your topic. Iona College Libraries offer a wide range of research support.
Ryan Research Desk
- Visit the Ryan Research Desk for assistance with research papers and other assignments.
- The librarians staffing the Research Desk are there to help you with your research. See Research Service hours.
- The Research Desk is located on the 1st floor of Ryan Library, behind the Help Desk near the Group Study Rooms.
- Visit the Libraries online for Research Help, FAQs, and Ask a Librarian.
- (914) 637-7716
Have you already visited the Ryan Research Desk? Have you already started your research but are having difficulty locating resources? Do you have an in-depth research project? Make a Research Assistance Program (RAP) appointment to meet with a librarian.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Need a book or article not available at Iona? You can ask the library to get it for you from another library. Here is how to request it:
Search for the book or other item using Iona WorldCat, available on library home page. Input your search in the “Quick Find” box.
Open the record for an item you would like.
Click “Request Item” and follow on-screen instructions.
Please allow 10 days for books and 5 days for articles to arrive.
Learn more about Interlibrary Loan.
- Provides technical assistance with hardware, software, or network issues.
- The place to check out a book or an item put on reserve by a professor.
- Pick up an item on hold for you.
- (914) 633-2635
You may stop by the Help Desk in person. It is located on the 1st floor of Ryan Library just beyond the lobby. Assistance is also available in Arrigoni Library.
The Library as Space
The libraries also provide a great place to conduct your research. There are spaces designed to accommodate various studying needs, e.g., group study rooms, computers, tables, and individual workstations. Our goal is to provide a library environment which is comfortable and conducive to studying and doing research. Please follow these policies:
- Food is allowed in two places: the open lobby space near Romita Auditorium and in the Periodicals Room (where the vending machines are).
- Use cell phones in the main entrance and on stair landings only.
- Please, no talking in the Silent Study Rooms.
Remember, in order to borrow books, audiovisual, and reserve materials, you must show a valid Iona ID card with a bar code. You are responsible for the care of all materials checked out on your ID cards.
For policies on borrowing books, loan periods, renewals, printing, copying, group study rooms, computer use, and more, please visit the libraries Policies page.