Virtual Resources and Research Support
About Overdrive Books
- Use your Iona University Network ID and password to check out OverDrive books.
- The checkout period is 14 days. Titles will automatically expire after this time period.
- One item can be checked out at a time. As we add more titles this number will increase.
- Renewals are available if no other users have placed a hold on the title. The renew option will appear in your bookshelf three days before the title is scheduled to expire. If the book is on hold, the borrower may be added to the hold queue.
- Books may be returned prior to the 14 day loan period.
- You can place holds on one ebook only. As we add more titles this number will increase.
- A high-contrast option is available on the "Settings" page of each user's account.
Steps for borrowing and downloading an Overdrive eBook
Step 1 Browse for a book
Search the Iona University OverDrive Collection from any web-enabled device search using the Libby app OR OverDrive app from any app-enabled device.
Step 2 Borrow the book
- Click on the Borrow button
- Sign in with your Iona University username and password
- Click on the Borrow button
Step 3 Download the book
Select your format,and download the book. Users of e-readers other than Kindle should select EPUB format. Clicking Download EPUB book will add the book to the app's bookshelf, where you can open and read the book. Libby and OverDrive app users can choose to read directly within the app itself.
Visit OverDrive's Getting Started page and select your specific device for more information.
Step 4 Return a book
Books are automatically returned at the end of a checkout period. If you would like to return a book early, you can do so by logging in to OverDrive (using your Iona University login) and clicking on Return Title in the Loans section of your bookshelf.
Kindle users can log in to their Amazon accounts and select Manage Kindle. Use the Actions drop-down next to a book title and select Return this book.
Options for Accessing Overdrive Content
There are several options for accessing ebooks and audiobooks (coming soon!) from OverDrive:
- Install the Libby app to download books to a computer, phone or other device
- Install the original OverDrive app to download books to a computer, phone or other device
- Read or listen online directly through your computer browser with OverDrive Read
- Use your Amazon account and either a Kindle device or app to download Kindle formats
Download Overdrive Books to Kindle
- Visit iona.overdrive.com.
- Locate an ebook you would like to borrow.
- Click BORROW (If you are not signed in to Overdrive, you will be asked to sign in with your Iona University user ID and password, click on Borrow again).
- Click READ NOW WITH KINDLE.
- You will be directed to an Amazon sign-in page.
- Sign in to the Amazon account connected to your Kindle account and device.
- An option to download the library book to your preferred device will appear on the right side of the screen.
- Click GET LIBRARY BOOK to download.
- The book will be returned on the due date for you.
- Last Updated: Sep 15, 2023 11:33 AM
- URL: https://guides.iona.edu/virtualICL
- Print Page