This Research Guide is designed to aid students in using the Iona University Libraries' resources to complete project and assignments in Criminal Justice.
Go to the Criminal Justice and Sociology Department's home page to find information about course offerings, program requirements, faculty, and more.
Search for Background Information
- Gale eBooks This link opens in a new windowEbook versions of encyclopedias and reference works covering most subjects, as well as a collection of classic literature and criticisms.
The following are examples of online reference books in criminal justice. Click each title to search each encyclopedia directly.
Where are the Criminal Justice Books Located?
Most criminal justice books have Dewey Decimal call numbers between 363 and 365. In Ryan Library, these books are primarily shelved on the third floor, West wing. However, some books are shelved in special collections, such as the Irish Collection. The library catalog will indicate when a book is not shelved in the main collection, and many books will have a letter before the call number. To see all of Iona's library locations, consult the complete list of library locations and collections.
List of Criminal Justice Dewey Call Number Ranges:
- 345 Criminal law
- 363.2 Police services
- 363.32 Social conflicts; riots
- 363.325 Terrorism
- 363.33 Gun control
- 364 Criminal justice
- 365 Penal and related institutions
Criminal Justice Databases
- Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text This link opens in a new windowArticles from sources in criminology; criminal justice; criminal law; forensic sciences; history of crime; probation and parole; etc.
- ProQuest Criminal Justice This link opens in a new windowA comprehensive database focuses on U.S. and international criminal justice journals, providing research support for students interested in careers in criminal justice, law enforcement, corrections administration, drug enforcement, rehabilitation, family law and industrial security.
- Criminal Justice (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new windowArticles from journals related to criminal justice covering topics from Homeland Security and hackers to the Supreme Court.
- Gun Regulation and Legislation In America This link opens in a new windowArticles, legislative histories, CRS reports, Congressional hearings, Supreme Court briefs, monographs, and other materials on the topic of regulating firearms.
- History of Capital Punishment This link opens in a new windowText from trials, congressional hearings, periodicals, and scholarly articles related to the history of death penalty legislation. Includes Eugene G. Wanger’s Death Penalty Collection consisting of books, pamphlets, periodicals, posters, and photographs.
- War and Terrorism (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new windowA periodical collection of hand selected titles for analysts, risk management professionals and students of military science, history, social science.
- HeinOnline Academic This link opens in a new windowAccess to state and federal case law and articles from scholarly journals. Text of the world's constitutions, U.S and classic treatises and presidential documents.
- Fastcase (HeinOnline) This link opens in a new windowHeinOnline has partnered with Fastcase, a legal research service. Fastcase offers the full-text of case law at the federal and state levels.
- Fastcase This link opens in a new windowFastcase offers online access to cases, statutes, regulations, court rules, and bar publications. The Fastcase legal research database includes materials from federal libraries, state courts, specialty courts, state statutes, state attorney general opinions, and state constitutions.
- EBSCO (all collections) This link opens in a new windowArticles and ebooks covering multidisciplinary subjects from all Ebsco databases.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowScholarly journals and ebooks in the humanities, social sciences, and business. Journal coverage generally ends 3-5 years before the current year.
- ProQuest Central This link opens in a new windowArticles from journals and newspapers covering all subject areas. Includes dissertations, working papers from OECD, company reports, and country profiles.
- SAGE Journals Online This link opens in a new windowSAGE Journals Online contains 600+ journals covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine. The full text of every issue is available from Volume 1, Issue 1 to the present.
- PolicyMap This link opens in a new windowUsers can access thousands of U.S. data indicators to perform demographic and socioeconomic analysis, from a neighborhood census block group up to a national level, or create custom regions, for research and studies.
- Social Explorer This link opens in a new windowSocial Explorer provides demographic information through thousands of interactive data maps going back to 1790. Set up an account with your Iona email address to create interactive maps and reports down to the street level.
- Academic Video Online Premium This link opens in a new windowVideos covering Arts, Business, Criminal Justice, Diversity Studies, Education, Gender & Sexuality, Health, History, Literature, Psychology and Sciences. Contains video content from 60 Minutes /CBS, PBS, BBC, NBC, Insight Media, etc.
- Kanopy This link opens in a new windowKanopy is an on-demand streaming video platform that provides access to 26,000 films from 800 production companies. Its focus is on high-quality, educational content. Award-winning documentaries and feature films from producers to include the Criterion Collection, Media Education Foundation, Strand New Day Films, PBS, The Great Courses, California Newsreel and Shout Factory are all included in the library.
- Last Updated: May 25, 2023 2:20 PM
- URL: https://guides.iona.edu/criminaljustice
- Print Page