Guide to research strategies and resources for Entrepreneurship research
This Research Guide is designed to aid students in using Iona University Library resources to complete projects and assignments for Entrepreneurship and includes important reference works, articles in databases, and journals.
View the department's website and find information about course offerings, program faculty, curriculum requirements, etc.
Where are the Library Books on Entrepreneurship?
Books relevant to Entrepreneurship can be found in the Dewey Decimal section:
These books can be found on the third floor of Ryan Library on the South Wing.
Key Databases & Websites
- General Business Databases
- Industry/Company Databases
- Consumer & Demographics Databases
- Intellectual Properties Websites
- Newspaper/Magazine Databases
- Business Plan Templates
These databases represent general business databases. For more specific business topics, use the tabbed sections at the top of this box.
- ABI/INFORM Complete This link opens in a new windowBusiness related articles from journals as well as trade publications, dissertations, conference proceedings, market reports and wire feeds.
- Business Insights: Essentials This link opens in a new windowCompany and industry profiles including SWOT reports, market share and financial reports, industry rankings, products and brands, marketing data, and more. Contains articles and abstracts from journals and news sources.
- Business Source Elite This link opens in a new windowThis database provides full-text coverage of business, management and economics journals and periodicals. These publications cover topics such as accounting, banking, finance, international business, marketing, and sales.
- First Research Industry Profiles This link opens in a new windowIndustry profiles that includes an overview, the competitive landscape, financials, industry indicators, sales and marketing, and more.
- Business Source Elite This link opens in a new windowThis database provides full-text coverage of business, management, and economics journals and periodicals. Business Source Elite also includes MarketLine Profiles, which provide a comprehensive industry profile including a market value forecast, category, geography segmentation, and market share. To access MarketLine Profiles:
Type in "industry profile" in the first box and the industry you're researching in the second box, e.g. dairy.
- Mergent Online This link opens in a new windowGo to the Industry Analysis tab. It includes a profile of the current environment & market trends and competitive company data for U.S. and global regions.
- U.S. Economic Census Data TablesData derived from 2017 U.S. Economic Census, illustrating industry trends and projects. Economic Census conducted every five years; watch the website for publication and analysis of 2022 materials.
- U.S. Census Bureau - County Business PatternsCBP is an annual series that provides subnational economic data by industry. This series includes the number of establishments, employment during the week of March 12, first quarter payroll, and annual payroll.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) CodesThe North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Industries at a GlanceA brief overview of the industry, workforce and earnings statistics, industry-specific pricing information and workplace trends.
- NYC Open Data: Business DataVaried data sets from NYC Open data covering a wide swath of regulation and business registration data.
- PolicyMap This link opens in a new windowUsers can access thousands of U.S. data indicators to perform demographic and socioeconomic analysis, from a neighborhood census block group up to a national level, or create custom regions, for research and studies.
- Statista This link opens in a new windowFind statistics, consumer survey results, and industry studies. Categorized into 21 market sectors, the platform provides direct access to quantitative data on media, business, finance, politics, and a wide variety of other areas of interest or markets.
Data sources include market research reports as well as trade publications, scientific journals, and government databases.
- CountryWatch This link opens in a new windowReports on political, business, demographic, cultural, and environmental information and statistics on countries around the world. Also includes daily news coverage by country, comparable country data sets and regional maps.
- Sports Market Analytics This link opens in a new windowSports Market Analytics is an online, continuously updated nationwide sports marketing analytics database with four reporting formats to accommodate user needs: Single Sport Analytics, Subject Analytics, Sport Summaries, and Sports Venue Analytics. It offers an all-encompassing perspective on the sports business, drawing upon syndicated and custom proprietary market research, industry reports, and licensed industry articles.
- Google Patent SearchFull text searchable U.S. and international patents
- U.S. Copyright OfficeSearch the Copyright Public Records Catalog online. 1978 to present.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office - Trademark SearchSearch database for trademark registrations and applications by mark, owner, or serial/registration number with Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). The site includes FAQs, tutorials, and videos.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office - Patent databaseDivided into separate databases for patent applications and awarded patents.
- USPTO - Inventor & Entrepreneur ResourcesEducational resources and assistance from the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office.
- NY Department of State RecordsNew York Department of State's Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code. The Division examines, files, and maintains numerous documents vital to business and state government including state and local laws, oaths of office, trademarks, certificates of incorporation, and Uniform Commercial Code Article 9 financing statements.
- Iona University Libraries Copyright & Fair Use Research GuideIona University Libraries' comprehensive guide to copyright law and fair use. Tailored to faculty work, but includes additional online resources, videos, and clear definitions of Fair Use.
- News (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new windowProvides access to more 1,000+ major U.S. regional, national and local newspapers as well as leading titles from around the world.
- Newspaper Source This link opens in a new windowProvides full-text of 200+ regional, national, and international newspapers. The database also includes transcripts from major television and radio broadcasts.
- The New York Times (1980 - Current) This link opens in a new windowOften considered the official U.S. newspaper, the NYTimes publishes the complete text of important documents, speeches and presidential press conferences.Also available in full-text:
from 01/01/1939 to Present in Iona University Libraries Print/Microform
from 06/01/1980 to present in LexisNexis Academic
from 06/01/1980 to present in National Newspapers Premier
from 01/01/1985 to present in Academic OneFile
from 01/01/1985 to present in InfoTrac Newsstand
from 01/01/1985 to present in New York State Newspapers
- US Newsstream This link opens in a new windowUS Newsstream enables users to search the most recent premium U.S. news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s featuring newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites in active full-text format.
- Wall Street Journal This link opens in a new windowThe WSJ is considered the US's preeminent publication for business news and information on financial markets worldwide. Content available from 1984 - Current.
- Small Business Association Loan ProgramsFind loans from the SBA, check for Lender Matches, and learn about the terms of different SBA loans.
- Angel Capital AssociationMember directory of Angel Capital Association with information about various funders.
- The Capital NetworkNon-profit dedicated to creating equitable funding ecosystem.
- Small Business Association Office of Veterans Business DevelopmentInformation on small business support for veterans, including continued education programs, funding, and support networks.
- Small Business Association Create a Business PlanIncludes business plan templates, tips, and resources for developing both traditional business plans and leaner start-up business plans.
- BPlansWebsite includes sample business plans, tools, guides, and practical advice on planning and sustaining a business.
- Last Updated: May 25, 2023 2:20 PM
- URL: https://guides.iona.edu/entrepreneurship
- Print Page