Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This Research Guide is designed to aid students in using Iona College Library resources to complete projects and assignments for Foreign Language and includes important reference works, articles in databases, and journals.
View the Foreign Languages Department's website and find information about course offerings, program faculty, curriculum requirements, etc.
Search the Library Catalog
Where Are the Library Books on Foreign Language studies?
Books on Language can be found in the Dewey Decimal sections:
- 410 Linguistics
- 420 English & Old English
- 430 Germanic languages, i.e., German
- 440 Romance languages, i.e., French
- 450 Italian language
- 460 Spanish & Portuguese languages
- 470 Italic languages, i.e., Latin
- 480 Hellenic languages, i.e. Classical Greek
- 490 Other languages
The Language books can be found in Ryan Library, 3rd floor, West Wing.
Books on Literature & Rhetoric can be found in the Dewey Decimal Sections in Ryan Library:
- 810 American literature in English - 2nd fl., East Wing
- 820 English & Old English literatures - 2nd fl., East Wing
- 830 Literatures of Germanic languages - 2nd fl., East Wing
- 840 Literatures of Romance languages - 2nd fl. South Wing
- 850 Italian, Romanian, Rhaeto-Romanic - 2nd fl., West Wing
- 860 Spanish & Portuguese literatures - 2nd fl., West Wing
- 870 Italic literatures, i.e., Latin - 2nd fl., West Wing
- 880 Hellenic literatures, i.e., Classical Greek - 2nd fl., West Wing
- 890 Literatures of other languages - 2nd fl., West Wing
Books on Geography & History can be found in the Dewey Decimal Sections:
- 910 Geography & travel
- 920 Biography, genealogy, insignias
- 930 History of the ancient world
- 940 General history of Europe
- 950 General history of Asia & Far East
- 960 General history of Africa
- 970 General history of North America
- 980 General history of South America
- 990 General history of other areas
Geography & History books can be found in Ryan Library, 2nd fl., West Wing.
Start Your Research
Ebook versions of encyclopedias and reference works covering most subjects, as well as a collection of classic literature and criticisms.
EBSCO (all collections)
Articles and ebooks covering multidisciplinary subjects from all Ebsco databases.
Articles from journals and newspapers covering all subject areas. Includes dissertations, working papers from OECD, company reports, and country profiles.
Scholarly journals and ebooks in the humanities, social sciences, and business. Journal coverage generally ends 3-5 years before the current year. Complimentary access to unlicensed collections has been made available by JSTOR through 6/30/2022 in an effort to support increased online learning during the COVID-19 outbreak.
SAGE Journals Online
SAGE Journals Online contains 600+ journals covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine. The full text of every issue is available from Volume 1, Issue 1 to the present.
Find the best library databases for your research.
Reports on political, business, demographic, cultural, and environmental information and statistics on countries around the world. Also includes daily news coverage by country, comparable country data sets and regional maps.
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
Ebooks, pamphlets, essays, broadsides published in the UK during the 18th century.
This database includes full-text journals and other sources in linguistics, including many titles indexed in Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA). It covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics.
MLA International Bibliography via EBSCO
A subject index for books, articles and websites published on modern languages, literature, folklore, and linguistics dating back to 1925 and containing 2.2 million+ citations from 4,400+ periodicals and 1,000+ book publishers.
An official organ of the Milton Society of America and Milton Section of the Modern Language Association; SCN publishes commissioned scholarly reviews covering scholarship in all fields of seventeenth-century studies -- history, art history, the history of science, English, continental and American literature, music, and philosophy.
Find the best library databases for your research.
Kanopy is an on-demand streaming video platform that provides access to 26,000 films from 800 production companies. Its focus is on high-quality, educational content. Award-winning documentaries and feature films from producers to include the Criterion Collection, Media Education Foundation, Strand New Day Films, PBS, The Great Courses, California Newsreel and Shout Factory are all included in the library.
Academic Video Online Premium
Videos covering Arts, Business, Criminal Justice, Diversity Studies, Education, Gender & Sexuality, Health, History, Literature, Psychology and Sciences. Contains content from 60 Minutes /CBS, PBS, BBC, NBC, Insight Media, etc.