This purpose of this Research Guide is to introduce you to library resources that will help you complete projects and assignments in History classes.
For information on History classes, curriculum and faculty, please see the History Department's homepage.
Search the Library Catalog
To begin your research, find background information on your topic by searching our online encyclopedia portal Gale Virtual Reference Library.
Or, try searching one of these specific encyclopedias directly. This is only a sample of the online history encyclopedias in Iona's collection.
Call Numbers for History Books
Most history books have Dewey Decimal call numbers between 900 and 999. In Ryan Library, these books are primarily located on the second floor, West wing. However, some books are shelved in special collections, such as the Irish Collection. The library catalog will indicate when a book is not shelved in the main collection, and many books will have a letter before the call number. Here is a complete list of Iona's library locations and collections.
List of History Dewey call number ranges:
- 900-909 World history; general books on history
- 910-919 Geography and travel; exploration
- 920-929 Biography; Geneaology
- 930-939 History of Ancient Worlds, to 499 A.D.
- 940-949 History of Europe
- 950-959 History of Asia
- 960-969 History of Africa
- 970-979 History of North America
- 980-989 History of South America
- 990-999 History of Australia, Atlantic and Pacific Ocean Islands, Arctic islands, Antarctica, Extraterrestrial worlds