Sociology: Find Books & Multimedia
Tips for Searching Iona WorldCat
- The default search is a basic keyword search. This searches titles, subjects, authors, tables of contents, and more.
- Iona WorldCat not only search books held at Iona, but many journal articles, e-books, and all types of media held at Iona and libraries worldwide.
- Results of a search can easily be limited by format (article, book, DVD, etc.), publication date, author, subject, and more.
- For more specific searches, use ti: before search terms to search for a title, au: to search for an author, and su: for a subject
- Example: ti: Gone with the wind
- Example: au: Emile Durkheim
- Example: su: Sociology
- OR, use the Advanced Search to specify searches by title, author, subject, and more. You may also specify a publication date or range of dates, language, and format (book, article, DVD, etc.)
- By default, Iona WorldCat searches libraries worldwide. Results for items owned by Iona will appear at the top of a results list. Most items not owned by Iona can be requested through Interlibrary Loan by first clicking on the title of the item, and then clicking on the grey Request Item button.
- For more help on using Iona WorldCat, see this thorough guide.
Find Streaming Videos in Sociology
Dewey Decimal Numbers for Sociology
Iona uses the Dewey Decimal system to organize most of the books in the collection. Most books related to Sociology are found in the following numbers:
- 301 - General books on Sociology and Anthropology
- 302 - Social Psychology, Social Interaction
- 303 - Social Processes
- 304 - Factors Affecting Social Behavior
- 305 - Social Groups
- 305.2 - Social Groups by Age
- 305.3 - Men
- 305.4 - Women
- 305.8 - Social Groups by Race and Ethnicity
- 306 - Culture and Institutions
- 306.7 - Gender and Sexuality
- 306.8 - Marriage and Family
- 307 - Communities
- 310-319 - Statistics, Population, and Demographics
- 360-363 - Social Welfare, Social Problems and Services
- 364-365 - Criminology and Penology
Google Books Search
Via its partnerships with several of the world's largest libraries, Google created a digital library that allows for keyword search and retrieval of millions of titles.