Science Journal Databases
Below are listed the big Science Databases where you might go first. Tip: Try the Popular Databases (multidisciplinary) such as Ebsco or ProQuest or Sage Online. Go to http://www.iona.edu/library/research/databases/
OPEN ACCESS Science Resources
Image courtesy of tribalicious via Flickr.
Post written by Matthew Von Hendy, Chair of the Public Policy section of DSOC and an independent information professional at Green Heron Information Services.
Is it possible for a researcher or lay person without much money to get access to high quality peer-reviewed scientific research and information? Increasingly, the answer is yes! In celebration of Open Access Week I have created a list of my favorite open access science resources. Many of these resources provide full-text or links to full-text if available but a few are only bibliographic in nature.Open access resources are also prone to frequent changes. One notable recent loss is the Scitopia federated search engine. Please feel free to add suggestions or make comments on sources you’ve used.
- DOE Information Systems – www.scienceaccelerator.gov Federated search covering Department of Energy related research, articles and conference proceedings
- Science Gov – www.science.gov Searches over 50 U.S. Government science-related databases and websites
- Scirus — www.scirus.com Maintained by Elsevier, this federated search covers journals and science related materials from the web
- WorldWideScience.Org — www.worldwidescience.org/about.html Federated search developed by the Department of Energy that covers national and international government science resources
Major Science Publisher Open Access Initiatives
- Wiley Open Access — www.wileyopenaccess.com
- Elsevier Science Direct – www.sciencedirect.com Open access journals are mixed in with subscription titles.
- Springer Open – www.springeropen.com/journals
- BioMed Central — www.biomedcentral.com/journals/bysubject Publisher of 220 open access peer-reviewed science, technology and medicine journals.
- Directory of Open Access Journals — www.doaj.org Focus on scientific journals using quality-controlled measures—somewhat spotty but decent international coverage
- HighWire — www.highwire.stanford.edu Publishers of 1700+ peer-reviewed science journals—older content is frequently open access
- Public Library of Science – www.plos.org Advocacy organization and publisher of 7 high quality peer-reviewed open access journals
Subject Specific Resources
- Agricola– www.agricola.nal.usda.gov Agriculture and agriculture-related database from the USDA
- arXiv– www.arxiv.org arXiv provides open access to nearly 800,000 e-prints in the area of physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance and statistics.
- CiteSeer — www.citeseer.ist.psu.edu Digital library and search engine focused on computer and information science.
- Defense Technical Information Center — www.dtic.mil/dtic A searchable repository for all publicly accessible DOD science and technical research.
- National Rehabilitation Information Center -- http://search.naric.com/public/default.cfm The NARIC Web site, is a gateway to disability- and rehabilitation-oriented information organized in a variety of formats designed to make it easy for users to find and use.
- Popline — www.popline.org Database covering family planning and reproductive health with excellent international coverage.
- PubChem -- www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov The 3 databases in PubChem provide information on the biological activities of small molecules.
- PubMed – www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez 22 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and on-line books. Free full text is linked to when available.
- Toxnet — www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov From the United States National Library of Medicine databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, environmental health and toxic releases.
- TRID — www.trid.trb.org Transportation-related research covering 940,000 records of transportation research worldwide.
- UBio — www.ubio.org/index.php?pagename=home Universal Biological Indexer and Organizer uses names and taxonomic intelligence about organisms.
This post was written by: Brandy.King.
More Journal Articles (Peer-reviewed Open Access)
BMC Biophysics is an open access journal publishing original peer-reviewed research articles in experimental and theoretical aspects of biological processes from the microscopic to macroscopic level, including thermodynamics, structural stability and dynamics, molecular biophysics, signalling, novel biophysical methods and computational biophysics.
The Scientist is the magazine for life science professionals, written by prominent scientists and professional journalists, it is a print and digital publication dedicated to covering a wide range of topics central to the study of cell and molecular biology, genetics, and other life-science fields.